Michael SweatpantsDisco’s review published on Letterboxd:
Just rewatched the Kubrick movie after having finished a first reading of the actual book in preparation for Doctor Sleep. First time seeing this miniseries. Random thoughts:
- Way shittier than the Kubrick movie.
- Way truer to the book than the Kubrick movie.
- Steven Weber's Jack Torrance is not the same as Jack Nicholson's Jack Torrance.
- I have to give it to Steven Weber for doing a pretty good job at going complete insane, though. I think he pulled it off.
- Melvin Van Peebles wasn't a half bad Dick Hallorann.
- The kid who played Danny Torrance was fucking unbearable to watch most of the time. I don't know why, but I wanted to smoosh his stupid face every time I saw him on screen. I'm a terrible person.
- Did I fall asleep at the end of the book, or was that final scene completely new to the miniseries? Did this series just spoil the Doctor Sleep book for me?