Cinema_Strikes’s review published on Letterboxd:
The first TCM is an absolute masterpiece of tone and atmosphere - a true original American classic. This ... is not. But it leans into the deeply black comedy of the original TCM’s finale in a way that is irresistibly fun and really hams it up.
Some additional thoughts:
• Before putting this on, I could have sworn I’d seen this before, but no, I definitely did not. Can't believe it's taken me so long.
• The opening scene with the two douchebags in the car being attacked by the Leatherface clan on a bridge is truly excellent – high point of the film.
• Caroline Williams is a blast as the resourceful heroine.
• I’m less sure whether I’m sold on Chop-Top. And Dennis Hopper’s character is such a colossal dick.
• Leatherface really massacred the hell out of some Welch’s Grape Soda. I love Welch’s Grape Soda.
• Oh, so THIS is where Rob Zombie borrowed his entire aesthetic. ‘Cause it’s certainly not the first movie. His films make so much more sense now.
Added to my Shocktober 2020 list here: