Dan Gvozden’s review published on Letterboxd:
Many thoughts on FAR FROM HOME, things I liked:
- Mysterio is handled so spectacularly. Fans of this character will cheer over and over again
- The young cast remains a fabulous ensemble, Zendaya steps up here
- Fast-paced plotting with tons of twists, narrative and visual
Things that didn't work for me:
- Peter's journey as Spider-Man (specifically) isn't as clear as in Homecoming
- CGI looks better but is overwhelming in a script that highlights reality in visualization
- Weightless, loosely edited first act
- All black costume, just not as fun!
Overall, the film is largely a success that completely shakes up what you know about Spider-Man and his world, clearly distinguishing the MCU Spidey from previous iterations. I miss Spidey's guilt as a motivator, but I appreciate that I never know what to expect from this series.