TANYA’s review published on Letterboxd:
Entering David Lynch's world of surreal and metaphors,
here comes the Wild at Heart which I haven't heard of just until this week because of the film club. It made me even more excited upon knowing that Laura Dern is one of the main protagonists (she also starred in many of his films) and Nicholas Cage whose character surprised me tbh hahaha.
(I’ve been so distracted that I’m typing the wrong things 🥴🥴🥴 oh god sorry.)
With some disturbing and a lot of weird scenes- which I guess shouldn't be a surprise at all if you're watching Lynch's- and with some Elvis Presley song references, I did like this romantic-crime-dark-comedy road film.
1. First of all, for the first hour of the movie, there were too many pairs of boobs (hahaha sorry). Second, the bizarre imageries and details. Third, Sailor and Lula’s relationship and crazy sex scenes.
"Baby, you better run with me back to the hotel, you got me hotter than Georgia Asphalt- Lula”
Laura Dern was so gorgeous, funny, rebellious, and a great dancer here. But despite these, I felt sad for her character, Lula. She was a victim of abuse, she had to experience such trauma and anxiety, she lived with an overbearing, psychotic mom, and she had to endure being with her problematic lover, Sailor.
So, yep, Nicholas Cage surprised me, I hadn't seen him since "Mom and Dad (2017), and I, honestly, thought he had cringy moments in this movie. He looked really younger here though, but I didn't really enjoy hearing his southern accent, was it fake? Well, regardless, I wasn't into it haha.
“Sailor: But I’m a robber and a manslaughterer. And I haven’t had any parental guidance.”
But I liked it when they were dancing in a club on a speed-metal music and they had these crazy dance-moves! Hahaha, and/or when they were on the road, jamming together.
" Guy: You look like a clown in that stupid jacket.
Sailor: This is a snakeskin jacket. For me, it's a symbol of my individuality.." wait.. what??
My top disturbing moments:
1. When Lula was telling a story about his Uncle Dee and there were a lot of nasty cockroaches.
2. The mother smudging a red lipstick all over her face
3. Scenes where Lula was sexually abused as a teenager by his disgusting Uncle :(
4. Bobby Peru (Willem Dafoe) wearing a stocking over his head, and he looked like a nasty-ass monster. And when he blew his own head lol.
“This whole world’s wild at heart and weird on top
Sailor: But I’m wild at heart.
Good witch: If you’re truly wild at heart, you’ll fight for your dream. Don’t turn away from love, Sailor.
I guess that actually made sense.