An anime film that 90% of the time has the aesthetic and halted rhythm of BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD and the other 10% is anything-goes animated flexing.
It has a very slow start, reinforcing the mundanity and malaise of these high schoolers’ day-to-day, and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to totally click with it. But once they discover music and we get to know the earnest folk band and some of the other characters get involved I was on board.
Really great representations of musical catharsis, depicting it both as profound and very silly. The art in general is really great. The simple characters against beautifully painted backgrounds looks great, and during the musical parts when the animators go all-out, the contrast makes it even more impactful.
You will believe in the power of the recorder!