Lauren🎬’s review published on Letterboxd:
1) Seen mixed reviews so expected something average... I know it’s only January 10th but this is my favourite movie of the year so far.
2) Scarlett Johansson 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻 what a performance.
3) Speaking of ScarJo, those shots of her feet and those shoes were a genius piece of storytelling and I’ll probably be thinking about it for the rest of the week.
4) Very impressed with the young actor who plays Jojo. The one thing that bothered me slightly was his best friend completely forgetting he was supposed to be German and mainly sounding like a little kid from Surrey. (But I can forgive this because he was great comedy value).
5) For me, the poor reviews were from viewers expecting this to be a true comedy film. Of course there were some hilarious moments, but this movie is not all one thing, nor is it all another. It is funny, yes, but it is also deeply touching and I appreciate the genre-bending.
6) Possibly the first movie since Into The Spiderverse that I’d actually rewatch.