Letterboxd is an independent service created by a small team, and we rely mostly on the support of our members to maintain our site and apps. Please consider upgrading to a Pro account—for less than a couple bucks a month, you’ll get cool additional features like all-time and annual stats pages (example), the ability to select (and filter by) your favorite streaming services, and no ads!
Terms and conditions of use
By accessing and using letterboxd.com and any other site, application, API or embedded content owned or operated by Letterboxd Limited (the “Service”), you accept and agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms”):
- Use: You may only use the Service in accordance with these Terms. All rights not expressly granted to you in these Terms are reserved by us.
- Responsibility: You will be responsible for all activity that occurs as a result of your use of the Service. We disclaim any and all liability (including for negligence) for the content, opinions, statements or other information posted to, or use of, the Service by its users.
- Provision of information: In order to use the services provided on the Service, you must be at least 16 years of age. When you register to use the Service, you agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Service (“Registration Information”), and to maintain and promptly update your Registration Information in order to ensure that it remains true, accurate, current and complete.
- Community policy: You must be courteous and respectful of others’ opinions, and you must not post unwelcome, aggressive, suggestive or otherwise inappropriate remarks directed at another member of the Service. Read our full policy.
- Conduct: You must not use the Service to promote, engage in or incite hate, violence, discrimination or intolerance, including based on race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or other protected attribute. We reserve the right to remove content that has the potential to harm communities we consider worthy of protection. We reserve the right to consider off-platform behavior as part of our moderating process. You must not use the Service (or encourage others to use the Service) to create multiple accounts, deceive or mislead other users, disrupt discussions, circumvent account blocks, game the Service’s mechanics, alter consensus, participate in orchestrated attacks against films or filmmakers, post spam or otherwise violate our community policy. You must not recreate or reproduce platform features that are exclusively included with our paid accounts, either through our API or another means. You must not follow an excessively high number of accounts (or like an excessive number of reviews or lists) in order to generate reciprocal follows or likes and thereby manipulate your account’s popularity.
- No malicious use: You agree to access the Service through the interface we provide. You must not use the Service for any malicious means, or abuse, harass, threaten, intimidate or impersonate any other user of the Service or any Letterboxd employee. You must not request or attempt to solicit personal or identifying information from another member of the Service. You must not mislead the Service’s support or moderation representatives, such as by making false or malicious reports about other members or their content, or by sending (or encouraging others to send) multiple reports regarding the same content or issue. Such behaviors may result in action being taken on your account.
- No illegal use: You must not use the Service for any unlawful purpose, or post any information that is in breach of any confidentiality obligation, copyright, trade mark or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person.
- Removal of content: We reserve the right to remove any content posted to the Service that we consider (in our absolute discretion) to be offensive, objectionable, unlawful, explicit, graphic or otherwise in breach of these Terms, including content that expressly (or implicitly, through coded language, symbol, keywords or tags) praises, supports, promotes or represents white-nationalist or neighboring ideologies. We reserve the right to remove any content posted to the Service that disseminates misinformation and its related manipulations, including viral sloganeering.
- Subscription fees: We may charge subscription fees for the use of certain services offered on the Service (“Fees”). We may change the amount of Fees payable from time to time. We will communicate any changes in Fees, and any changes will only take effect at the end of your current subscription period. If you cancel your subscription within 30 days of its inception, you may seek a refund for any Fees you have already paid in the current period. Refunds are granted at the sole discretion of the Service’s support staff, and are only available for subscriptions purchased through our website (iOS subscribers must contact Apple, Inc. if they wish to seek a refund). Subscriptions purchased through our website are processed by Paddle.com and those purchased through our iOS app are processed by Apple, Inc. (these companies, collectively the “Resellers”, are the Merchant of Record for your purchase). Customer enquiries related to subscriptions should be sent to the Service’s support staff. By subscribing to an annual plan, you agree to pay the Service (through one of the Resellers) the subscription fees indicated for that plan. Payments will be charged in advance on the day you subscribe to the plan and will cover your use of the upgraded Service (including all activity across our website and apps) for a period of one year. Unless you cancel your subscription before the end of the current period, your subscription will automatically renew and you authorize the applicable Reseller to collect the annual subscription fee for the next period (including any taxes payable) using the payment method they have on record for you. Subscriptions can be canceled at any time in your account settings (for web subscriptions) or in your iCloud settings (for iOS subscriptions).
- Intellectual property: You agree that we own all of the intellectual property rights in the Service. You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, distribute and display (including for commercial purposes) on the Service and in other media any content or material that you post on the Service, and any name(s) and/or avatar under which you post such content. Other than this right, we claim no intellectual property rights in relation to the information or content that you upload onto the Service. Any content you post to the Service should be original (not plagiarized from another person’s writing) and must not infringe anyone else’s intellectual property rights. Where you are referencing someone else’s intellectual property, you must make this clear by naming the quoted material’s author and through the use of identifiers such as quotation marks, links to source material, or other means.
- Indemnity: You indemnify, and will keep indemnified, us against all forms of liability, actions, proceedings, demands, costs, charges and expenses which we may howsoever incur or be subject to or suffer as a result of the use by you of the Service.
- Amendments: We reserve the right to amend these Terms at any time, including by changing the amount of any Fees payable for any of our services, and may also add new features that will be subject to these Terms. If these changes are material we will communicate the changes to users, and by continuing to use the Service, you will be taken to have agreed to the changes.
- Use of our logo: Subject to these Terms, we grant you a non-exclusive limited licence to use our Letterboxd logo when linking to the Service. Please download our logo file here. Each link on the “Letterboxd logos” page contains a version of our logo in one of several common formats. You must comply with any instructions that we may give you from time to time about your use of our logo. You must not alter our logo in any way; use our logo in a way that suggests any type of association or partnership with us; use our logo in a way that is harmful, deceptive, obscene or otherwise objectionable to the average person; or use our logo to, or in connection with, content that disparages us or damages our reputation.
- Termination or suspension of accounts: If you do not abide by these Terms, we may suspend or terminate your account.
- Technical support and malfunctions: We will try to promptly address (during normal business hours) all technical issues that arise on the Service. However, we will not be liable for any loss suffered as a result of any partial or total breakdown of the Service or any technical malfunctions.
- Governing law and jurisdiction: All users of the Service agree that the laws of New Zealand shall govern and apply to these Terms and each user’s use of the Service, and all users submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts for any matter or dispute arising in relation to these Terms.
This policy was last updated in November 2022 (to expand upon and strengthen clauses 5 and 6) and is effective immediately.