thelistislife42’s review published on Letterboxd:
Road to My End of the Decade List - Movie #33
Friday the 13th = I think I'm supposed to watch a horror movie, right?
Alright, so that was pretty dope and I have a lot to say, but I'm not sure if I can actually construct a good review, so here are my thoughts:
- The visuals are really cool. There's a lot of great cinematography and camerawork throughout and the editing is seriously fantastic. All of this helps to make for a strange and haunting tone that I really loved. The whole style was really interesting throughout.
- I'm always up for some Thom Yorke and his work here is fantastic, though I do still prefer the score of Argento's original film
- So, speaking of the original, I'm a really really big fan of it so I was excited to finally get around to seeing this one. I prefer the original for sure, but I will say that the remake is probably smarter and more interesting than the original, and I'm actually really glad that it decided to basically be a totally different thing (especially in terms of its themes and its ending), even if some of the changes are strange ones to make.
- A lot of the batshit insane stuff is cool, a lot of it felt kinda stupid to me. A lot of it doesn't quite make sense to me and won't until I spend more time thinking about it. There's also some stuff that I'm just convinced doesn't make sense, though I don't know if it needs to in the context of a movie like this.
- I know it's fucked up, but am I the only one who thinks that it was kinda nice and charming? Especially when considering some of the themes that are made clear by the end.
- Overall, it was really really interesting and really really cool. I can definitely see myself liking it less upon a rewatch, but I can also really see it growing on me. It wasn't absolutely riveting or anything, but it generally kept my attention and was consistently smart and original.
My List: Top 1000 Greatest Films of All Time
Ranking: 2019, First Time Watches
Top 50 Horror Films
Top 100 Fantasy Films
The Road to My End of the Decade List