Emmy’s review published on Letterboxd:
okay, a few things:
1) allison janney gives an INCREDIBLE and heartbreaking performance as tonya's mother, and she was the spitting image of someone in my life who is every bit as horrible
2) sebastian stan cannot play a teenager (margot worked as a teenager for me and I DON'T KNOW WHY????)
3) i don't necessarily believe all of tonya's story, but this movie sure did make me feel for her. i've been thinking a lot about how we live in a takedown culture. we're like rabid animals when we see someone falling from grace. i'm gonna do my best to stop playing a part in that, even when i think someone really deserves it. calling out bad behavior is good and it's necessary, but there's something that feels so terrible about reveling in other people's failures.
4) the skating effects were..... almost there
5) super fun and interesting narrative structure
6) the fleetwood mac song was such a nice surprise that made me happy to be alive lol