kiki 👽’s review published on Letterboxd:
Scavenger Hunt #43: 02/31
Task #6: Choose a movie from your DVD/Digital collection that you haven't seen.
So many things about this film are good:
- A seemingly (upper?) middle class director that can showcase the working class, particularly working class females without it feeling exploitative is surely something special.
- Banshee is all grown and getting real gigs. Recognize.
- The kids are actually kids. Not some schmalzy amalgamation of sage geniuses and infants.
- The COLORS.
- Willem Defoe is so goddamn class and so goddamn handsome.
- Baker has a way of shooting his characters in a way that feels intimate, but never voyeuristic. Shooting the kids only at eye level was a stroke of fuckin’ genius.
“You know why this is my favorite tree? Because it tipped over, and it’s still growing.”